Saturday, November 6, 2010

R.I.P. Charles I and the Levellers

Hello there, my fellow readers. Many of my suspicions were true and others not so much. Parliament was able to put together my army. And I convinced them to name it the New Model Army. And when I heard that the king fled to Scotland, I was extremely angry with him and was much more determined to kill him than ever. I was so angry that I chased him down in Scotland, and was captured. He was proclaimed guilty by the House of Commons, or the current parliament, as I purged the Presbyterians in the parliament. They sentenced him to death by the severing of his head. He was executed a few days ago on January 30, 1649. I gained much popularity from the rest of my soldiers that day. But I soon realized that while I was away at Scotland a group called the levellers, radically minded people, were causing disarray in England. They mocked me and my power, telling me I couldn’t stop them. They were in for quite a surprise when I crushed every single one of them. And while this was happening, the Rump parliament started to think of their own ideas to change the government “for the better” without my consent. I still don’t know if they can be trusted anymore or not.  Well, things are looking both up and down, as I defeated the levellers, but also might be losing the rump parliament. I’ll write again when Europe reveals another one of its secrets. Until then, may all be well.

3 comments:

  1. Dear sir, I find your suppression of the levellers highly objectionable. I understand you have your country's best interests at heart, however, you should listen to these people's opinions first. For example, they called for women's equality with men. This is a good idea because women have the same capabilities as men; therefore, they should get as much respect as men do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most dishonorable sir, your reasoning in assassinating the mighty King is preposterous. Not only did you destroy the King, you also created disorder in Parliament and create chaos in England. A country should retain a strong monarch who suppresses his peers and retain a stable environment. Clearly, by eliminating the position of King, you have caused turmoil throughout the country. The stability will disintegrate and the dissension between political officials will soon be triggered by this foolish decision of yours. I would suggest that you step down immediately and sought one of King Charles's relatives to step up to the throne before it is too late.

    ReplyDelete
  3. O Cromwell, you seem to believe that your vile acts to the royal king, my father, is justified by the approval of the House of Commons. You also seem confident that your military forces will solve all your problems. Your mischievous attitude towards others, especially the king and those poor subjects, I must say, disqualifies you from your position. Serves you RIGHT when England abandons your policies after your death. ;P

    ReplyDelete